Student AdvocatePortland, Oregon
About Portland OIC
At Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc., we are committed to the future success of underserved youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training and placement.
Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) is an accredited high school with four campuses in North Portland, East Portland/Gresham, New Columbia and SE Portland.
We believe all people have value, all people can grow, and all people can build and contribute to thriving communities.
Position: Student Advocate
Location: 9323 SE Harold Street, Portland, OR
Benefits: Full benefits package
Hours: General working hours are 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, with occasional evenings
and weekends, as assigned
Reports to: Principal
Salary: Competitive Hourly Rate – based on experience
POIC + RAHS is looking for a Student Advocate for our SE Lents campus to assist the school staff in maintaining school discipline and positive behavior practices to create an environment conducive to learning.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist school staff in maintaining school discipline and positive behavior practices
- Advocate to assist students in setting and meeting academic and behavioral goals
- Provide support to classroom teachers as necessary
- Maintain ongoing contact with students and families to promote student progress
- Manage student discipline records
- Assist teachers in maintaining a classroom environment conducive to learning
- Manage student behavior, during lunch, before, after and during school hours
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Use progressive discipline strategies to redirect students as necessary
- Work closely with the school principal to manage school safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- An independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual
- Leadership experience in schools or related educational agencies or organizations
- Experience in providing social and other supports to students
- Works well with professional staff in a small team setting
- Desire and ability to work with at-risk students and ensure an enriching, positive and safe environment.
- Value working in a multi-cultural, diverse environment
- Ability to proactively problem-solve and resolve conflict
- Ability to maintain organized and accurate records
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work with at-risk students who may exhibit emotional and behavioral issues
- Higher education a plus
- SPANISH speaking a plus
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and automobile insurance meeting minimum requirements as defined by the agency.
- Successful completion of initial and on-going employment screens, including, but not limited to
criminal background, sex offender, drug, abuse and neglect and vehicle record as required
- High School Diploma
How to Apply
- Email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference "Student Advocate" in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter.
- NO PHONE CALLS, please
POIC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.