Pre-Apprenticeship Program CoordinatorPortland, Oregon
About Portland OIC
At Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc., we are committed to the future success of underserved youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training and placement.
Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) is an accredited high school with four campuses in North Portland, East Portland/Gresham, New Columbia and SE Portland.
We believe all people have value, all people can grow, and all people can build and contribute to thriving communities.
Position: Pre-Apprenticeship Program Coordinator
Location: POIC+RAHS has multiple sites ranging from North Portland to Gresham. This position will require travel between sites and will spend significant time at the Northwest College of Construction.
Benefits: Full benefits package
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am-4: 30 pm, plus occasional evenings and weekends as required
Reports to: Director of Employment and Training
Salary: $50,000 - $55,000 DOE
Position Summary: The Pre-Apprenticeship Coordinator leads an exciting new initiative aimed at creating opportunity and building economic success for low-income youth and young adults of color in Multnomah County. This position is responsible for the planning, launching, and implementation of a new pre-apprenticeship training program designed to prepare youth and young adults (ages 18-25) for careers in construction and the trades.
Training activities will take place at the Northwest College of Construction. The ideal candidate has experience in workforce development and the construction industry, as well as a passion for youth, economic empowerment, and mentorship. The Pre-Apprenticeship Coordinator will be working both independently, and in collaboration with POIC’s Work Opportunities Training team, to launch the program and should possess the ability to take initiative and develop new skills and areas of knowledge efficiently.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Program Development and Coordination
- Responsible for development of program design and implementation of training cohorts, in accordance with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries Apprenticeship and Training Division
- Ensure input of apprenticeship programs, industry partners, and employers to inform program design
and develop a mechanism for connecting successful trainees to apprenticeships
- Oversee outreach, recruitment, and screening of trainees; ensure cohorts reflect racial, cultural, and
gender diversity goals
- Develop collateral (published and online) to communicate program design, expectations, benefits to potential trainees and community partners
- Responsible for all documentation pertaining to training cohorts, including, but not limited to, trainee applications and files
- Monitor grant requirements to ensure all contracted goals are met
- Ensure successful relationship with training location (Northwest College of Construction)
- Build partnerships with key representatives in the construction and trades industry, including employers, apprenticeship programs, government representatives, and funders
- In partnership with POIC leadership, facilitate POIC Pre-Apprenticeship Advisory Council
- Prepare monthly reports on program data for funders and partners; utilize reports to ensure continuous improvement of the program
- Supervise one full-time instructor, providing mentorship, guidance, and regular supervision
- Be open to supervising additional staff as the program grows
- Trainee Support and Coaching
- Build relationships with individual trainees; monitor individual progress, challenges, and successes throughout training
- In partnership with Instructor, strategize around barriers to successful completion of training (ie.
childcare, transportation, financial, mental health challenges) and identify internal and external resources to alleviate barriers
- Maintain regular communication with trainees and document all services in client management database and in accordance with department standards
- Support trainees with career planning, applications to apprenticeship programs, and job search activities
As a member of the Work Opportunities Training department and POIC+RAHS, the Pre-Apprenticeship Coordinator will be expected to:
- Follow and integrate the POIC+RAHS equity policy
- Attend weekly departmental meetings, POIC+RAHS staff meetings, professional development and training opportunities
- Submit reports, including both qualitative and quantitative, in a timely fashion
- Serve as a leader, represent POIC+RAHS in a positive and professional manner, commit to professional growth and continuous improvement of practice
- Complete other duties, as assigned
- A passion for the POIC+RAHS mission and increasing career and economic opportunities for communities of color and youth with barriers to education and employment
- Must possess a belief in the abilities and potential of youth and young adults
- Demonstrated progression in program and contract management
- Ability to represent POIC+RAHS positively and professional with diverse stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, time management, and reporting skills to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and collaborate with team members
- Ability to balance direct service responsibilities with program administration and coordination duties
- Able to demonstrate written and verbal communication in English at minimum satisfaction
- Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and automobile insurance meeting minimum requirements as defined by the agency
- Successful completion of initial and on-going employment screens, including, but not limited to criminal background, sex offender, drug, abuse and neglect and vehicle record as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent, plus 5 years demonstrated experience
- Minimum 3 years program coordination experience
- Direct service experience with youth/young adults
- Experience working with communities of color, particularly the African American community
How to Apply
- Email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference "Pre-Apprenticeship Program Coordinator" in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter.
- NO PHONE CALLS, please
POIC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.