Pre-Apprenticeship InstructorPortland, Oregon
About Portland OIC
At Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc., we are committed to the future success of underserved youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training and placement.
Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) is an accredited high school with four campuses in North Portland, East Portland/Gresham, New Columbia and SE Portland.
We believe all people have value, all people can grow, and all people can build and contribute to thriving communities.
Position: Pre-Apprenticeship Instructor
Location: Northwest College of Construction and POIC+RAHS
Benefits: Full benefits package
Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, plus occasional evenings and weekends as required
Reports to: Director of Employment & Training
Salary: $42,000 - $45,000, DOE
Position Summary: POIC+RAHS seeks a Pre-Apprenticeship Instructor to implement an exciting new initiative aimed at creating opportunity and building economic success for low-income young adults of color in Multnomah County. This position is responsible for facilitating a pre-apprenticeship program to prepare youth and young adults for careers in construction and the trades. The ideal candidate has extensive experience in the industry, as well as a passion for youth (ages 18-25), teaching, and mentorship.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Instruction & Training
- Develop instructional design, curriculum, and implementation plan for new pre-apprenticeship training, in accordance with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries Apprenticeship and Training Division
- Create curriculum for 12-week pre-apprenticeship training, incorporating workplace and life skills as well as practical, hands-on activities
- Provide all instruction and facilitation in culturally competent manner, incorporating an equity lens, to promote the success of trainees of diverse backgrounds and learning styles
- Model curriculum, classroom lessons and projects on industry standards and expose trainees to wide variety of tools and skills within the industry
- Build relationships with individual trainees; provide learning environment that promotes respect, hope, and empowerment
- Teach construction skills and safe and proper use of hand tools, power tools, and equipment through hands-on activities and assignments
- Provide opportunities for trainees to explore diverse career options within the trades, both in the classroom and through worksite visits
- Incorporate construction and trades industry labor information to support trainees in career planning
- Supervise safe learning environment and ensure documentation of any incidents
- Monitor individual trainee attendance and performance and address concerns, successes, and challenges on a consistent basis
- Develop and maintain system to assess and track trainees’ knowledge and skills; provide trainees with
ongoing evaluation and feedback
- Recruit guest presenters to represent diverse career pathways within trades
- Support trainees with career planning, applications to apprenticeship programs, and job search activities
- Assist with recruitment and screening of cohorts of trainees
- Ensure successful relationships between POIC and training locations
- Maintain attendance records and case notes, in accordance with department standards
- Submit reports, including both data and narrative, in a timely fashion
- Evaluate program outcomes to inform continuous improvement
Additional Duties - as a member of POIC's Work Opportunities Training department, the Pre-Apprenticeship Instructor will be expected to:
- Attend departmental meetings, POIC+RAHS staff meetings, ongoing professional development related to our organizational expectations centered on personal growth, leadership, and accountability, and training opportunities
- Serve as a leader, represent POIC in a positive and professional manner, commit to professional growth
and continuous improvement of practice
- Complete other duties, as assigned
Qualifications & Skills
- A passion for POIC+RAHS mission and serving culturally-diverse youth, young adults and their families
- Commitment to professional development
- Teaching experience, including curriculum development and planning
- Thorough knowledge of OSHA regulations and commitment to safety
- Must possess a belief in the abilities and potential of youth and young adults
- Able to demonstrate written and verbal communication in English at minimum satisfaction
- Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Minimum five years’ experience in construction or related field
- Successful completion of initial and on-going employment screens, including, but not limited to criminal background, sex offender, drug, abuse and neglect and vehicle record as required
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation and automobile insurance meeting minimum requirements as defined by the organization
- All POIC+RAHS staff is required to participate in ongoing professional development related to our organizational expectations centered on personal growth, leadership, and accountability
How to Apply
- Submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reference "Pre-Apprenticeship Instructor" in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter.
- No phone calls, please.
POIC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.