What is the relationship between POIC and RAHS?
Portland OIC was established in 1967 as an affiliate of a national organization designed to provide job training, job placement, and basic education for poor and under-educated citizens ages 18-65. In 1983, POIC High School was created in order to focus more specifically on the needs of high school age youth and young adults. In 2000 the school was renamed Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) in recognition of the leadership and advocacy of our former Executive Director Ms. Rosemary Anderson. RAHS is one of four core programs operated by Portland OIC, the others being Mentoring, Transitions and Employment and Training.
Is Rosemary Anderson High school a public, private or charter school?
RAHS is registered with the Oregon Department of Education as a private alternative high school. This classification qualifies us to contract with school districts, making us eligible to instruct and administer high school diplomas and instruct for the GED.
How many youth do you serve?
Portland OIC serves between 425 and 475 young adults each year; 200 in the High School, 140 in the Transitions program and 125 in the Employment, Training and After-School programs.
How do community members find out about your programs?
Portland OIC’s longevity has led to a broad referral base. Many of our referrals originate from community-based organizations and governmental entities, including but not limited to, the Department of Human Services, Community Justice, Work Systems Inc. and Portland Public Schools. Participants and students also come to us based on information gathered from friends, family, and alumni.
How are you funded?
73% of our funding comes from federal, state and local contracts, with the remaining 27% coming from private fundraising. 90% of funds are used for direct program services and enhancement.
Do you need volunteers?
Yes. Many of our programs depend on volunteers. Volunteer opportunities are wide ranging and include mentoring, supporting special events such as the Community Health Fair, teaching extra-curricular classes, leading workshops, and serving on the Portland OIC Board of Directors.
Does a young person need to be in the High School to participate in work programs?
No. Our employment and training programs are open to youth ages 16-25 from throughout the Portland Metropolitan Area. Enroll Now +