Outreach and Engagement SpecialistPortland, Oregon
About Portland OIC
At Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc., we are committed to the future success of underserved youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training and placement.
Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) is an accredited high school with four campuses in North Portland, East Portland/Gresham, New Columbia and SE Portland.
We believe all people have value, all people can grow, and all people can build and contribute to thriving communities.
Position: Outreach and Engagement Specialist
Location: POIC has several sites throughout Multnomah County. This position requires travel between sites. A portion of time each week will also be spent engaging with potential participants at WorkSource Portland Metro sites in North Portland and Gresham.
Hours: General working hours are 9 AM - 5:30 PM, Monday through Thursday, with occasional evenings and weekends, as assigned.
Benefits: Full benefits package
Salary: $14 - $16/hr DOE
Reports to: Employment and Transitions Program Manager
POIC seeks a motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented team member to outreach to youth and young adults, ages 18-29, in a community-based setting. The Outreach and Engagement Specialist will support POIC’s Work Opportunities and Training department by connecting with potential participants, enrolling them in POIC’s employment programs, and linking them to POIC staff, training, and resources. POIC’s Work Opportunities Training department aims to support underserved youth and young adults on a path to self-sufficiency and economic success by providing opportunities for skill building, training, and work experience. The Outreach and Engagement Specialist will represent POIC within the WorkSource Portland Metro system (WSPM), providing services at various WSPM sites. An ideal candidate will provide friendly, professional customer service, be able to work independently, and be open to growth and learning.
Outreach and enrollment
- Promote POIC’s youth and young adult employment programs in the community and at WorkSource Portland Metro locations
- Engage with potential participants to determine fit for programs and to communicate potential benefits
- Represent POIC at WSPM locations; welcome and engage with potential participants who are seeking support
- Meet with participants to complete all program enrollment paperwork and processes
- Connect enrolled participants with appropriate POIC Career Coaches and services
Data entry and management
- Responsible for documenting all potential and enrolled participant interactions in program-specific database
- Utilize Microsoft Excel to track engagement, referrals, and monthly summaries
- Share data with WSPM and POIC staff
- Compose reports on a weekly and monthly basis
- Support POIC and Work Opportunities Training (WOT) with participant engagement; conduct outreach to participants who have disengaged with programming
- Contribute to planning and facilitation of WOT events, trainings, and work goals
Collaboration and community engagement
- Collaborate with Work Opportunities Training (WOT) team and other POIC departments to deliver services across program sites
- Support overall efforts of WSPM by assisting with welcome and enrollment process for walk-in customers, when necessary
- Represent POIC within WSPM system and maintain ongoingcommunication with WSPM staff
- Other duties, as assigned
- All POIC+RAHS staff is required to participate in ongoing professional development related to our organizational expectations centered on personal
growth, leadership, and accountability
Qualifications & Skills
- Commitment to the mission of POIC+RAHS and to professional development
- Experience working with youth/ young adults in a school or community-based setting
- Friendly and professional customer service; Ability to navigate professional relationships in diverse settings
- Ability to represent POIC positively in the community
- Experience in workforce development, youth employment, or youth development programming preferred
- Familiarity with trauma-informed practice and strength-based approaches to working with participants preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, professional email communication, and internet research
- Ability to organize time efficiently and effectively in order to meet deadlines and achieve outcomes while managing diverse and persistent client demands
- Ability to develop unique intervention strategies to engage and inspire youth and families
- Ability to reach out for support when working in stressful conditions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multicultural environment with people from diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional verbal communication skills
- Successful completion of background investigation (including fingerprints, criminal history and reference check)
How to Apply
- Email a cover letter outlining your qualifications and a resume to: email@example.com
- Reference "Outreach and Engagement Specialist" in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter
- No phone calls please
POIC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.