Director of DevelopmentPortland, Oregon
About Portland OIC
At Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc., we are committed to the future success of underserved youth through the age of 25, providing the highest quality services in education, mentoring, family outreach, employment training and placement.
Rosemary Anderson High School (RAHS) is an accredited high school with four campuses in North Portland, East Portland/Gresham, New Columbia and SE Portland.
We believe all people have value, all people can grow, and all people can build and contribute to thriving communities.
Location: North Campus (717 N. Killingsworth Ct. Portland, OR 97217).
Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., plus evenings and weekends as required.
This position reports directly to the President/CEO.
The Director of Development is a dynamic, experienced, self-motivated leader with a proven track record of success in fundraising, capital campaigns and anniversary celebrations. In collaboration with the Board of Directors, Development/Communications Committee, and President/CEO, the Director of Development will design and implement strategies that engage, cultivate, and grow the financial support of our funders and donors while working within the guidelines, policies, and mission of our organization. The Director of Development is accountable for specific projects and outcomes, including the design and implementation of the funding strategies (raising major gifts, annual giving campaigns, outreach to donors and businesses, foundation grants, and fundraising events) to support the financial growth and sustainability of POIC+RAHS schools and programs.
As a key member of the leadership team, the Director of Development is responsible for all aspects of development including managing the Development Team, fundraising, donor relations, designing and implementing a targeted program to engage diverse audiences, grow our voice and showcase our brand, while addressing the needs of internal and external stakeholders, including prospective and current students, alumni, faculty and staff, donors, volunteers, government and social service agencies, and the communities we serve, predominantly communities of color. The ability to collaborate effectively, thrive under pressure and produce quality work on deadlines is also critical as is a commitment to support our culturally diverse environment.
Development & Donors
- Lead, manage and support the Development Team
- In partnership with the President/CEO, create an annual Development Plan with fundraising goals and strategies for giving at all levels, in alignment with POIC+RAHS budgets and Strategic Plan.
- Develop and manage the Development Department’s annual budget and special fundraising project budgets, working closely with the Fiscal Office to ensure accuracy.
- Plan and oversee all fundraising and friend-raising events and campaigns, including outreach and recruiting and retaining sponsors. Manage fundraising goals, budgets, objectives, strategies, schedules, vendor contracts and analysis of results for each element of the development plan.
- Organize POIC+RAHS 50th Anniversary Celebration and capitalize on this milestone with efforts dedicated to build capacity for the next 50 years.
- Analyze donor base and develop and implement strategies to cultivate new donors, re-engage lapsed donors, and increase overall giving to meet and achieve annual fundraising goals, including recommending movement to major gift prospects where appropriate.
- Seek new funding opportunities including grants, sponsorships, community partnerships, and new fundraising strategies.
- Develop and implement materials and tactics related to donor stewardship and recognition, educating and engaging them in our mission. Assertively engage in face-to-face solicitations and connect donors to the impact of their gifts.
- Work with the President/CEO and the Board’s Development/Communications Committee for donor cultivation and to design a development work plan for every Board member and support Board members as needed to accomplish their work plans in a timely fashion.
- Develop an outreach strategy to increase corporate matching fund opportunities.
- Contribute to organization’s strategic and business plans.
- Oversee the organization’s grants administration and other activities that contribute to the financial viability and overall sustainability of the organization. This includes researching prospective funding opportunities to support existing and new programs that impact POIC+RAHS effectiveness and quality of services to youth and families.
- Coordinate discussions with President/CEO and program staff on priorities for seeking grants, drafting and finalizing Letters of Interest and full proposals.
- Work closely with program staff and grant writer to build a tracking calendar of submission deadlines and reporting dates to ensure all deadlines are met in a timely and accurate manner.
- Collaborate with the Compliance Officer to ensure accurate and timely submission of funder reports.
Track, Administer & Advance Fundraising Progress
- Manage an effective, accurate and up-to-date donor database, tracking contact information, gifts, acknowledgements and other pertinent donor management information while maintaining donor confidentiality. Reconcile donations with Fiscal Services as directed.
- Inform the President/CEO of changing needs and opportunities on a weekly basis and recommend action based on the Strategic Plan, previous fundraising efforts, trends in philanthropy and whether existing strategies produce desired results.
- Provide monthly analytical database reports for communication with President/CEO, Board of Directors and others as directed.
- Attend Board meetings as needed to present progress reports.
- Assess existing systems and needs.
Marketing & Communications
- Work with Development staff to develop, execute and evaluate an effective Marketing & Communications Plan to increase annual gifts and build awareness and visibility for POIC+RAHS. Align all goals and activities with Strategic Plan priorities and deadlines and engage and inspire support, generate gifts, and build awareness and visibility for POIC+RAHS through regular written communications and phone calls.
- Collaborate with staff to assess and develop high-quality marketing materials, using an equity lens, that showcase programs, people and events drives engagement among internal and external audiences, and builds community support for our schools and wrap-around services. Includes brochures, newsletters, print collateral, email campaigns, website, blogs, social media and other emerging technologies and trends, using graphics, illustrations, photographs, video and other multimedia formats to support communications goals and objectives.
- Work with staff to develop, write and execute solicitation campaigns for individuals and corporate donors through both print and digital media, strategizing opportunities that engage audience segments with content that resonates with a diverse audience and leads to measurable actions.
- Generate donor and prospect lists for solicitation campaigns and regularly export donor email lists for input to email management system (Mail Chimp).
- Cultivate and maintain media relations for disseminating press releases, gaining earned media and leveraging public relations opportunities in order to increase exposure for POIC+RAHS and fulfill promised recognition of funders.
- Participate in leadership team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Specific responsibilities subject to review after completion of the first 90 days of work.
- A passion for POIC + RAHS beliefs, core values and mission for serving at-risk youth and their families, predominantly communities of color, with an understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures and communities.
- Fearless, positive attitude to fundraising! Must have proven experience cultivating and stewarding strong donor relationships (preferably in the non-profit sector), be comfortable cold-calling and soliciting donations, and achieving fundraising goals.
- Dedication to managing growth and expansion of the organization’s long-term development activities and improving upon its structure for future organizational growth.
- Collaborative leader with a strong work ethic, personal accountability and a high level ability to establish and maintain effective communication and professional relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-directed, flexible, creative problem solver who strives for excellence and high achievement and has the ability to inspire, grow, and strengthen our base of supporters to raise the resources needed to successfully pursue our mission.
- Knowledge of and experience with web-based tactics, including crowdfunding, social media campaigns, & e-marketing tools.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and reporting skills to manage multiple detail-oriented projects with accuracy, urgency, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Possession of an established network of local, regional and national funding relationships and familiarity with the local philanthropic community.
- Existing relationships with local press and media is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Development Director with demonstrated success in securing donations and grants and cultivating long-term relationships with individuals, foundations, businesses and government funders, special events, and/or other activities
- Success in raising a minimum of $5 Million in a capital campaign
- Experience organizing anniversary celebrations, event planning and management, marketing, and communication planning
- Experience working with nonprofits and serving youth of color is desired
- Budget planning, accountability, and reporting experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, database management software, Mail Chimp, Adobe Design programs, WordPress, LinkedIn & relevant social media platforms
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to personal and professional growth and accountability
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to high ethical and professional standards
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours, including days, evenings, and weekends, to attend meetings, conferences and events
- Must successfully pass criminal background investigation and reference checks.
- Full benefits package including 100% employer paid insurance premiums.
- Salary is $80 - $100K annually, DOE
- Status for this position is Exempt
How to Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in joining the POIC team, 3 professional references, and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with Director of Development in the subject line. NO phone calls, please.
POIC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.